History of ELCHK
Towards the end of the nineteenth century, Lutheran missionaries from Germany, Northern Europe and the United States went to China and spread the Words of God. They established churches, built schools and hospitals in provinces of Shangdong, Shaanxi, Henan, Hubei, Hunan and Guangdong. In the 1920s, the Chinese Lutheran Church was established along with Lutheran Theological Seminary and the Lutheran Publishing House.
On 1 December 1948, the Lutheran Theological Seminary in Shekow, Hubei, was relocated to Tao Fung Shan in Shatin, Hong Kong. Graduates from the seminary started the work of spreading the Gospel throughout Hong Kong and the number of believers has been increasing. On 27 February 1954, representatives from all Lutheran congregations in Hong Kong gathered at Tao Fung Shan, Shatin to announce the formal establishment of the Evangelical Lutheran Church of Hong Kong.